National Junior Honor Society
Skyview Middle School Honor Society recognizes students with exemplary academic achievement, citizenship, leadership, and community involvement. In addition to meeting all of the core requirements, students must apply each school year in order to be considered for annual membership. Students accepted into Honor Society will be invited via acceptance letter to a formal induction ceremony in May of each school year.
Please read all requirements thoroughly. Applications are due March 27, 2020.
Students are required to attend at least one Skyview Community Service opportunity:
- June 6, 2019 (after school) - registration for this event has closed.
- August 25, 2019 Community Serve Day at any Northshore school campus will work because we do not have one at Skyview this year
- November 2019 - March 2020
- After school EARN Day schedule for the year will be posted by October 2020
- Limited EARN Day opportunities during Movement and Connection time on Fridays: You may sign up for one day during Movement and Connection Time on Fridays to fulfill your E.A.R.N. Day Honor Society requirement. You may only sign up for ONE Movement & Connection Friday E.A.R.N Day and space in limited (this does not include after school E.A.R.N. Days). It is your responsibility to remember which date you signed up for.
Registration will open on our website prior to each date. Intercom announcements will be made to alert students. Pre-registration is required for each EARN day. EARN Day hours count toward the total number of community service hours.
**Students must reapply to Honor Society EVERY YEAR. Just because you got in one year, does mean you automatically get in the following year.
- ASB Dues: ASB Dues must be paid for the current school year. Must get signed verification through the main office on the application.
- GPA: 3.5 Cumulative GPA or higher after the first semester of the current school year. Cumulative GPA means all semesters at Skyview. Check StudentVUE for your cumulative GPA. For example, 7th and 8th grade students need to average their GPA’s from ALL semesters attended at Skyview. 6th graders will use their first semester GPA. Cumulative GPA’s can be found on the semester report card. Please check with the registrar, Kris Staten, if you have any questions about your GPA.
- Personal Narrative: 250-750 Words; see the application for the prompt.
- Skyview EARN Community Service Days: Must participate in one opportunity listed on the website and complete form on the back of the application. May count toward the total number of community service hours. Attendance will be verified. Registration will open on our website prior to each date. Intercom announcements will be made to alert students. Pre-registration is required for each EARN day.
- 12+ Hours of documented Community Service from June 1, 2019 - March 27, 2020: Community Service Hours are those which are done for others (not including family members), for which no compensation (monetary or otherwise) has been given. Hours must be verified with a supervisor’s signature. EARN Day hours count toward the total number of hours.
- Exemplary Citizenship. No detentions, Saturday schools, or suspensions. *Appeals for detentions ONLY will be made on a case-by-case basis with the administration. Written letters of appeal must be submitted by Friday, February 28th, 2020. See Ms. Scott in the counseling office for more information. It is important to note that just because you submit an appeal, it does not automatically mean you will get into Honor Society.
- Signed application by student and parent/guardian.
- Application turned in by 3:00 PM, Friday, March 27th, 2020 to Ms. Subcleff's box in the main office. NO INCOMPLETE OR LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. NO EXCEPTIONS.
2019 - 2020
Skyview Middle School National Junior Honor Society Timeline
- June 1, 2019: Application posted online and available in the kiosk outside of the main office. Start earning community service hours for the 2019 – 2020 school year.
- June 6, 2019: EARN Day (After School)
- August 25, 2019: EARN Day (Community Serve Day)
- October 2019 - March 2020: EARN Days TBD
- November 2019: Officer informational meeting, Officer applications due, and Officers chosen
- January 2020: First Semester Report Cards sent home
- February 28, 2020: Disciplinary Appeals Due to Ms. Scott
- March 27, 2020: Complete Applications due by 3:00 PM sharp. NO incomplete or late applications will be considered. NO exceptions.
- April/May 2020: Acceptance Letters sent out.
- May 2020: Induction Ceremony Date TBD
May 2020 (Date and Time TBD) in the Skyview Gymnasium
Prior to the ceremony: Honor Society Inductees (students): Meet in the cafeteria to line-up alphabetically. Please dress appropriately for the occasion (business casual)
Parents/Families: Please find a seat in the gym.
Reception: Light desserts and refreshments will be served in the cafeteria after the induction ceremony.
- Notes: Please carpool, if possible. Additional parking is available next door at Canyon Creek Elementary, if needed.
- Attendance at the ceremony is NOT mandatory to be inducted into Honor Society. Certificates will be delivered to absentee students at school after the ceremony.
Community Service Hours are those which are done for others (not including family members), for which no compensation (monetary or otherwise) has been given. Hours must be verified with a supervisor’s signature.
Current Volunteer Opportunities for 2019-2020
Fernwood Elementary Year End Carnival, June 7th. Volunteers needed! Sign up here:
Community SERVE Day - Annually in August at schools in Northshore School District. Online registration is required. Sign up here:
Skyview Middle School and Northshore School District
Local Elementary Schools
Always a need for volunteers to help with after school Math Club, Chess Club, Tutoring, Reading. Contacting one of your former teachers is a good starting point.
Local Elementary PTA's
Volunteers needed for BBQ's, Science Fairs, Carnivals, Open Houses etc. Call school office to get the name of the local elementary PTA president.
United Way of King County
Countless volunteer opportunities listed from all over King County. Will provide lists according to interests and location.
Homeward Pet Adoption
Volunteers to help care for animals. Ages 13-15 must be accompanied by an adult. Call 425.488.4444 to volunteer.
Call 1.425.641.0080 for an information packet on how to volunteer. Must be 14 years old to volunteer.
Eastside Baby Corner
Located in Issaquah. They need volunteers to help receive and store incoming donations, fill clothes orders, sort clothes to be put in bins. Volunteer hours: Monday 7-8:30pm, Thursday 9-11am, Saturday 9-11am. Call 425.865.0234 to volunteer.
Located next to Bothell Library. Volunteers needed for a wide variety of things. May have an age requirement. Volunteer at 425.485.6521
City of Woodinville
Volunteers always needed for events and projects happening in Woodinville, especially the Woodinville Lights Festival in December. Call John Markuson, Volunteer Coordinator 425.498.2700 x-298
Northshore Senior Center
Call Mimi at 425.486.4564, they have special events you can help with. Go alone or with a group of friends and donate your time to the Senior Center.
American Red Cross
Red Cross volunteers provide relief to victims of disasters and help people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. Call 206.323.6565 ext 10211 or visit
Northshore Family Center (Bothell)
Provides a safe and fun place where families and individuals can access diverse resources, learning opportunities and make community connections in North King and South Snohomish counties. Volunteer Coordinator - Aria Davis 425.408.7990
Ms. Tanya Subcleff